Fridge Issues

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:04
ThreadID: 27976 Views:3296 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just a couple of quick tips.

1. The new 80 litre Engels is too high to fit comfortably into the back of a Nissan Patrol. If on a slide the lid opens to less than 45 degrees when slide extended and to about 70 degrees when in the vehicle.

OK in a Troopy. (I have one as well).

2. The Autofridge is a superb device but do be aware that the heat must escape from the sides. One absolutely must not pack anything closer than 50 mm to the outside or it cannot work. These units are great for camper trrailers, caravans and motorhomes but possibly less so for the back of a 4WD.
Collyn Rivers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sky Pilot - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:37

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:37
I've been researching fridges for CTs lately and it seems that most of the >40L Engels are too tall to go in existing fridge spaces in some of the better off-road CTs. Perhaps they could try increasing another dimension other than height to get their extra capacity!
AnswerID: 138783

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:33

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:33
I had to get extended sides of my CT to fit the Fridge in.

Standard size is 17 inch (in most cases), mine went to 22 inch sides.
FollowupID: 392554

Follow Up By: warthog - Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 14:46

Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 14:46
Just goes to show what a job these poor buggers have trying to design a fridge that suits us all. I bought our 60ltr waeco because it is high and has a relatively small footprint. Floorspace is at a premium in the back of our patrol.
FollowupID: 392790

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:20

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:20
It also helps if you can reduce the vehicle cabin temperature (particularly anywhere hot - where 50 degrees isn't unusual). Made a fan window utilising a high capacity computer fan which is inserted in the window space. The fan consumes about .5 Amp and I've run this nearly all day to keep the car temp the same as that outside.

Works well and I feel utilises less power overall because the fridges are not working as hard. The fridges combined working flat out would use a great deal more power than the fan.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 138786

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 15:10

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 15:10
Hi Collyn,

I've got a friend with an autofridge. He deliberately mounted it on a slide inside his canopy (which is similar to mine) so when he stops, he pulls the fridge out, so the sides get a breeze on them. The autofridge sides do get pretty warm, but being eutectic, he then turns it off until the morning. They also are not as tall as an engel, which is usually pretty handy.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 138816

Reply By: Paul - OzRoamer Camper Trailer - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 19:34

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 19:34
I have 6 Autofridge units in the hire fleet and can't fault them.
We have tried other makes but just keep coming back to Autofridge - they dont seem to ever miss a beat and draw alot less than most makes on the market.
AnswerID: 138857

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 21:07

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 21:07
Paul

I totally agree re the Autofridge. I've had one in my OKA for the past eight years and that too never fails to perform.

Re consumption my own data-logged tests show that it draws about 20 Ah/day in our typical Kimberley 34 -36 degrees if used in pump-down mode (and run about two hours morning and night), and about 35 Ah/day in used on a thermostat setting - ie as any other fridge.
Collyn Rivers
FollowupID: 392630

Reply By: mowing - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 21:34

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 21:34
Hi Collyn, I have a 73 litre Autofridge (when I get it back from my daughters) and it can't be faulted. They are pricey but if that is not an issue then they are the pick of the bunch. Also have a 40 litre Trailblaza which whilst heavy and large is bullet proof.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 138877

Reply By: Ray Bates - Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 22:24

Thursday, Nov 10, 2005 at 22:24
Hi Collyn,
I have one of the old green Engles. Are these fitted with a low voltage cut out? I have never let my battery get very low to try it out.

Thank You
AnswerID: 138887

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:04

Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:04
Ray
I'm sorry but I do not know the answer to that one (except that I think so). Perhaps others could help?

Just a note re this - people often become concerned that the voltage at which the cutout operates is below that to which the battery should not be discharged.

In practice the fridge's load (especially when the battery is gettying low) will drop the battery voltage considerably. Once the cut-out has operated the battery will climb back up to a high voltage. The cut-out however has a so-called hysterisis that precludes it cutting back in until the voltage is a fair bit higher than that at which it cut out.

Thus, if for example the cut-out operated at (say) 10.8 volts, the true settled battery voltage is likely to be a 11.6-11.8 volts.

The major pupose of these cut-outs is to protect the compressor motor from overheating. This happens because most are fan cooled and the air blown by a fan falls off hugely as its speed drops.
Collyn Rivers
FollowupID: 392756

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:17

Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:17
Ray,

I've a 29l engel with the olive lid and cream base, which I'm guessing you're referring to. It harks back from around 1980 if I remember. Cost me a fortune back then $600, but let me have icecream on the Birdsville track in my EH Holden wagon running two batteries recharged via the car generator - predating alternators.

Anyway, no they do not have a low voltage cutout. These babies will suck the juice from the battery until there ain't nothing left to suck. Collyn will have a much more professional description :-)

Collyn, one of the frustrating things with cutouts and fridges is the compressor starting drain needed often pulls the volts down enough to trip the cutout, when in fact there is still plenty of capacity left in the battery. They trip very quickly. Are there any with a timer that will trip if the voltage is low for say 10 seconds?

Regards
Tim
FollowupID: 392759

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:32

Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:32
G'day all,

I have a 39lt AutoFridge (extended to a 59lt) that sits in the back of me troopy. It sits in a plywood box that has a 30mm spacing on each side with specially designed ventilation slits to allow for the dispersment of the heat from the fridge's side panels. The box has also protected this valuable investment.
AnswerID: 138946

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:34

Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:34
Tim
That problem of premature tripping is most often caused by voltage drop on the cable/connectors. Try rigging up a temporay bypass cable (ideally use twin 8 gauge) and replace any glass tuype fuse by the new blade type devices. Keep cable as short as possible and shorten the original fridge cable to minimum possible length. Make sure you get the polarity right though.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 138962

Sponsored Links